Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rico suave

Ok, so maybe I'm making a terrible reference to that song. If Prof. Rico sees this, I can only hope he forgives my flippant attitude and takes it for the compliment I mean it as.

Anyway, Prof. Rico has that kind of command of Greek. This video is really long, but it should give you an idea of what an Ancient Greek class can look like. The guy never breaks away from target language. It's amazing. I've done stuff like this with Latin, but I don't think I've ever gotten much above 75% in target language.



I really like TPR-style and active-use approaches to teaching dead languages, since they can often be quite removed from our day-to-day experience. Of course, some of them are: Avestan anyone? But Latin and Ancient Greek have a broad literature that is made that much richer with active command of the language. Or at least that's been my experience with Latin.

You can find out more about Rico's book, Polis here, but it's a major pain to import to America. Just take my word for it.