Thursday, October 20, 2011

Motivations for going back to school

It may seem odd to someone stumbling across this: why is a man in his late 30s with two small children and a decent part-time teaching gig going to grad school? Aren't I busy enough?

Well, I suppose I might as well get it out: my mother was diagnosed with a serious illness this fall. I had been toying with going back to school for many years but never really got serious. I had written to the linguistics faculty at NEIU over the summer, but I can't say I was in any big rush to hear back from them. Time seemed abundant.

Then came the cancer diagnosis. My mother is not old.  Not yet 61. Suddenly time seemed short. I now had a big rush. Here we are now. I writing. You reading. I hope that the development of this blog as I go through school is of value to you.